1) Develop autonomy-supportive environments to help athletes and staff WANT to IMPROVE.
2) Develop environments where reflection, discussion and solutions are prioritised to provide ever-evolving physical performance.
Director and Lead Consultant
11 Years I > 500 Athletes I 2 International Teams I 3 Professional Teams I Olympic Medallists I > 7000 coaching hours I > 1000 training and match reports
I have refined my athlete engagement and performance
solutions with the following:
Scotland Rugby (4 years)
Glasgow Warriors (3 years)
UCD High Performance (4.5 years)
Irish Hockey Women (3.5 years)
Irish Rowing athletes (and Olympians) (4.5 years)
Irish Athletics athletes (and Olympians) (4.5 years)
Edinburgh Rugby (1 year)
Chelsea F.C. (1 year)
I am a published author and researcher in resisted sprinting and
physical performance analysis.
"I strive to evolve environments to allow athletes and staff to 'fall in love with getting better'. Creating Spark Intent has been a natural and very enjoyable step in my career.
Consulting is an opportunity to do more of what I love.
I am fortunate to have evolved my knowledge and practice with Premiership football players, Olympic medallists and International Rugby players. I have successfully transferred my athlete-engagement philosophy to allow colleagues and performance staff to realise their own transition from sub-optimal to self-determined motivation.
Points of difference and in-house innovations I share as part of Intent Consultancy
· Aligning physical competency with a coach-led ‘Winning Model’: How can we physically prepare to win trophies?
· Improving physical effort in pitch training: The use of self-determination theory and autonomy-supportive behaviour to guide feedback design.
· Management project: The development and implementation of mutually inclusive staff and player ‘visions’ for long-term performance and work-motivation.
· Design and implementation of a match-simulation protocol to assess rugby-power-performance under match fatigue, and the individual physical characteristics associated with fatigue-resilience.
· Report writing to assist the coach: understanding the ‘interesting’ and the ‘useful’, coach-autonomy and the transition of data to knowledge.
I live in Southside Glasgow with my partner, Victoria. I enjoy Queens Park, reading and monthly physical challenges.
Exciting appointment to the advisory panel of SujiBFR - incredible potential in this company
Full-time consultancy as Physical Performance Consultant for RWC19 preparation and delivery in Japan.
Spark Intent delivered a presentation to SCP Sporting Lisbon (Portugal) to enhance their knowledge of horizontal force application and programming solutions for resisted sprint training.
Our first workshop will be delivered in July 2019. Watch this space for details.